It was a day to remember for Andrea Atzeni on Thursday as he celebrated his 1,000th British winner at Haydock.
He was on the 998 winners mark heading into the meeting but gave Ostilio (9/4) and Without A Fight (1/2) great rides to reach the massive milestone.
Andrea has six rides to go to war with at Ascot on Friday and we have listed them below for you. With confidence on a high, he might be in for another very good day at the office tomorrow and he has some good chances.
Who is Andrea Atzeni?
Just like Frankie Dettori, Andrea Atzeni is a professional Italian-born jockey based in England. He was born on the stunning Mediterranean island of Sardinia and didn’t know a horse from his elbow at a very young age as his father is a farmer and his mother is a dentist.
Atzeni developed an interest in racing at a young age, and went on to compete in pony races on his home island. When he turned 15, he upped sticks and moved to Milan on the mainland where he started riding out for Italian trainer Alduino Botti.
When he was 17 he made the huge decision to emigrate to England where he joined the ‘Prestige Place’ stables of Alduino’s son, the very familiar Marco Botti based in Newmarket.
Major British Wins
- British Champions Fillies’ and Mares’ Stakes – Simple Verse (2015)
- Coronation Cup – Postponed (2016), Defoe (2019)
- Dewhurst Stakes – Belardo (2014)
- Goodwood Cup – Stradivarius (2017, 2018)
- International Stakes – Postponed (2016)
- King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes – Postponed (2015)
- Lockinge Stakes – Belardo (2016)
- Racing Post Trophy – Kingston Hill (2013), Elm Park (2014), Marcel (2015), Rivet (2016)
- St. Leger Stakes – Kingston Hill (2014), Simple Verse (2015)