One of the most competitive handicaps of the season, the Cambridgeshire Handicap is raced over the 1m 1f distance. Twenty-nine runners will be vying for the £74,700 prize of this Heritage Handicap.
You can find everything you need to know about the Cambridgeshire Handicap below, from the thoughts and analysis of our experts, valuable stats and trends, free bets and our Cambridgeshire Handicap selection.
Cambridgeshire Handicap Runners and Riders
Arrives here on a hat-trick, unbeaten in a pair of starts this term. Looked well ahead of the handicapper when scoring cosily at Ascot earlier this month and a seven-pound rise is unlikely to stop him going close.
Having his first start of 2020 when beating Certain Lad to win the John Smith’s Cup despite a poor passage. An eight-pound rise for that demands another career-best, but he will have the race run to suit and Oisin Murphy takes over.
Incredibly progressive, winning all four of his starts since debut. Held on gamely to score at Newbury on his latest outing and has gone up five pounds for that. Could easily have more to offer but needs to, as he didn’t look to have a huge amount spare last time.
Extremely consistent in 2020, winning on return at this venue before finishing sixth in the Royal Hunt Cup. Did all his best work late when third at Goodwood last time and is able to race off the same rating. Each-way contender but perhaps handicapped towards his best.
Hasn’t put a foot wrong in 2020, in the frame of all three of his starts. Latest close second at Doncaster off three pounds lower suggested the handicapper wasn’t completely in charge. Can play a leading role with Ryan Moore back aboard.
Cambridgeshire Handicap Tip
It’s still very early days for Saeed bin Suroor’s three-year-old, who has won two of his six career starts. He posted a career-best effort to impressively win a Haydock handicap two starts ago and his latest third at Sandown was another step in the right direction.
He remains thoroughly unexposed and this extra furlong promises to unlock further improvement. Stefano Cherchi’s five-pound claim is a huge positive and if taking another step forward today, he’s got obvious claims at an attractive price.
Cambridgeshire Handicap Trends
- 8 of the last 10 winners were sent off 10/1 or bigger
- 6 of the last 10 winners carried 8st 10lb or less
- 6 of the last 10 winners were aged 3 or 4 years old
- 3 of the last 10 winners had a claimer aboard
- 2 of the last 10 winners were sent off favourite
- 2 of the last 10 winners were trained by John Gosden and ridden by Frankie Dettori
The rescheduled calendar in 2020 means we should take stats with a pinch of salt, however, they do still give a good guide as to what it takes to win the race.
Understandably, given the competitive nature of the race, favourites have a very poor record. Being towards the bottom of the handicap is another big help, alongside being aged either three or four years old.
Frankie Dettori and John Gosden have won the last two renewals of the race and they’re represented by Al Rufaa. Our selection, Dubai Mirage, suits all of the favourable trends (bar the Gosden statistic) and that gives a boost to his already solid claims.
Cambridgeshire Handicap Previous Winners
- 2019 – Lord North (Frankie Dettori, John Gosden)
- 2018 – Wissahickon (Frankie Dettori, John Gosden)
- 2017 – Dolphin Vista (George Wood, Martyn Meade)
- 2016 – Spark Plug (Jimmy Fortune, Brian Meehan)
- 2015 – Third Time Lucky (Adam Beschizza, Richard Fahey)
- 2014 – Bronze Angel (Louis Steward, Marcus Tregoning)
- 2013 – Educate (John Fahy, Tom Tate)
- 2012 – Bronze Angel (William Buikc, Marcus Tregoning)
- 2011 – Prince of Johanne (John Fahy, Tom Tate)
- 2010 – Credit Swap (Jim Crowley, Michael Wigham)
Free Bets for Newmarket
Get a head start with your bets this week by signing up to a bookmaker account and claiming a free bet. With so much top-class action at Newmarket, free bets can come in handy, especially with firms competing against one another to offer the best deals. We have selected the three best offers below or you can check out our Free Bets page for more offers.