Royal Ascot Day 2 is headlined by a solitary Group 1 by way of the Prince of Wales’s Stakes, but what a contest it looks on paper.
All Group 1 races are to be run for a prize of £250,000 at Royal Ascot 2020 after a disrupted season, with the Prince of Wales’s Stakes usually the richest prize on offer all week, being run for £750,000 in 2019.
The Prince of Wales’s Stakes is run over a trip of one mile and two furlongs and has seen some of racing’s stars claim the prize, with the like of Oujia Board, Poets Word, Highland Reel and last year’s winner Crystal Ocean just a few on the illustrious honours list.
Prince of Wales’s Stakes Tip
The Aidan O’Brien-trained Japan heads the betting and will be a warm favourite to win this for his handler who last won it in 2017 with Highland Reel. Japan was last seen finishing fourth in the Prix de l’arc de Triomphe, after racking up a series of wins, including his only start at Ascot in the King Edward VII Stakes at Royal Ascot last year. The standout on form.
He is very much the one to beat if running to the level he has shown on each of his last 5 starts. There are question marks over the remainder of the field, with any further rainfall bringing the soft-ground-loving Addeybb in to play and Headman and Lord North the likely improvers, but they look up against it here against Japan.
Prince of Wales’s Stakes Runners
Won the Listed Wolferton Stakes at last year’s Royal meeting before finishing runner up to Magical in the Champion Stakes in October. Will welcome every drop of rain, with his best form on slower ground, but he advertised his well-being with a pair of Group-1 wins in Australia over the winter. Yet to breakthrough at Group-1 level in Britain however.
Stepped up from handicap company last season with a pair of Group-2 wins in France, before finishing 3½ lengths behind Magical in the Irish Champion Stakes when last seen. Still unexposed after just 7 career starts, a likely improver but will need to be if he’s to win this.
Former St James’s Palace winner and hinted he may have rediscovered his former self over at Meydan this winter, winning a pair of Group 1 & Group 2 races over nine-furlongs in style. While his former best would put him in the mix, he was 8th in last year’s Queen Anne, and form from Meydan should always be taken with a pinch of salt back in Britain.
He has shown marked improvement over the last 12-months with his rating rocketing from 98 to 116. Won the Group-3 Brigadier Gerard Stakes on his latest start, and while clearly still improving, this looks a tough assignment and perhaps a bridge too far.
The only filly in the lineup and fifth in the Champion Stakes in behind Addyebb when last seen. She looks to have work to do to reverse that form if encountering similar conditions but did run Deidre close in the Nassau Stakes last year. This looks tougher.
An overly exuberant sort that has often gotten away with it at lower levels than this. Not seen in Group-1 company since the Derby last season where he finished 12th of 13 and looks likely to struggle once again returning to warmer waters.
Key Prince of Wales’s Stakes Trends
- 12 of the last 12 winners have been aged 4 or 5
- 11 of the last 12 winners have come from the top three in the betting
- 9 of the last 10 winners have been rated 119 or higher
Japan is the only runner to fit the bill in all three of the key trends of the past 12 winners. Rivals Barney Roy and Addeybb are aged 6 and the remaining four rivals Headman (115), Lord North (112), Mehdaayih (113), and Bangkok (114) not meeting the requirement of being rated 119 or higher.
Trends Pick: Japan
Ascot Draw Bias
With just seven in line to go to post in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes, there won’t be any real draw bias, as there often isn’t on the round course, with the pace being more of a factor in these races, due to Ascot’s relatively short home straight.
Royal Ascot Prince of Wales’s Stakes Free bet Offers
Get a head start with your Royal Ascot bets by signing up to a bookmaker account and claiming a free bet. With at least seven races each day, bookmaker free bets can come in handy and during Royal Ascot, firms will be competing with one another for the best offer. We have selected the best offer for our Day 2 Royal Ascot tips below, or you can view our free bets page for all the latest offers and free bets.
Bet on Royal Ascot with up to £100 in Bet Credits courtesy of Bet365. Simply sign up through the link to receive the welcome bonus.
- Open to new Bet365 customers
- Up to £100 Free Bet Credits
- Open an account, make a qualifying deposit of £5 or more and claim the offer to receive a matched amount in Bet Credits, up to a maximum of £100
bet365 Welcome Offer Terms & Conditions
1. Offer available to new customers registering on or after 12:00 UK Time on 17th January 2019.
2. Make a qualifying deposit of £5* or more to qualify for a 100% matched amount in Bet Credits up to £100*. Your qualifying deposit is your largest deposit (capped at £100*) made in the 7 days prior to you claiming the offer. PayPal or paysafecard, where available, cannot be used for either your qualifying deposit or any subsequent withdrawal of returns from Bet Credits stakes unless you have completed Know Your Customer procedures (KYC) and entered a Postal Verification Code (PVC) or we have successfully verified two accepted forms of your Identity Documents.
For more details on accepted Identity Documents, how to complete KYC, or to upload your Identity Documents, simply log in to your account, go to Members then My Account and select Know Your Customer.
3. You must claim your offer within 30 days of registering your account.
4. The maximum amount of Bet Credits that can be claimed is £100*. For example, a qualifying deposit of £150 will qualify for £100 of Bet Credits.
Releasing your Bet Credits
5. Your Bet Credits will be held in your account balance and are non-withdrawable. To release your Bet Credits you must place qualifying bets with a total stake value equal to or greater than the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at £100*) and they must settle within 30 days of claiming the offer.
6. Your Bet Credits will normally be available to use within one hour of the qualifying settled bet requirement being met.
7. You may have more than one Bet Credits offer available on your account at any one time. However, qualifying settled bets will only count towards releasing one of the offers. You may choose which offer is active within the Members section.
8. Bets placed using our Telephone Betting service will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits.
9. Any single bets placed at odds of less than 1/5 (1.20) will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. In multiple bets at least one selection must have odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater to count.
10. In market/fixture combinations that only have two or three potential outcomes (for example Soccer Full Time Result), where you have placed bets on more than one potential outcome, either pre-match or In-Play, only the outcome with your highest cumulative stake will count towards the settled bets requirement (if you have placed the same highest cumulative stake on more than one selection in the same market/fixture combination then only one will count towards the settled bets requirement). Any bets settled on other selections in the same market/fixture combination will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. This term is applied in conjunction with the other restrictions. For example, if you have a £10 bet on Man Utd to beat Chelsea and a £15 bet on Chelsea to beat Man Utd on the Full Time Result market at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater, only the stake on Chelsea will count towards the release of your Bet Credits (if both bets were for £10 then £10 would count towards the release of your Bet Credits). If you were to place a further £10 bet on Man Utd to beat Chelsea at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater, this cumulative £20 stake will count towards the release of your Bet Credits and not the £15 stake on Chelsea.
11. Fully Cashed Out, Instant Games, Gaming, void bets and In-Play bets which are settled as a push do not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, only the remaining active stake will count towards the release of your Bet Credits. Where a bet has been edited using our Edit Bet feature, the original stake will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits and only the new stake on the new bet will count.
12. If you do not have qualifying settled bets to the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at £100*) within 30 days of claiming the offer, your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed and the offer will be closed.
Using Bet Credits
13. Your Bet Credits are non-withdrawable. Any returns from Bet Credits stakes will be added to your Withdrawable Balance but Bet Credits stakes are not included in any returns. For example, a £10 bet placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) would give a return of £30 (£20 winnings plus £10 stake), whereas a £10 Bet Credits stake placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) would give a net return of £20, as the £10 Bet Credits stake is not returned.
14. Stakes can be funded in part by your Bet Credits and part with your Withdrawable Balance; however the Bet Credits element of the stake will not be included in any returns. For example, a £10 bet placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) which was funded by £5 Bet Credits and £5 cash would give a net return of £25 (£20 winnings plus £5 cash stake) as the £5 Bet Credits stake would not be returned. If a bet is void and has had an opportunity to win (for example, in the event of a push), Bet Credits stakes will not be returned. If a bet is void and has not had an opportunity to win (for example, when a Goalscorer bet is placed on a player who does not then take part in the match), Bet Credits stakes will be returned.
15. For the purpose of Cash Out, the value displayed will already have the Bet Credits stake removed and will be the actual return received if Cashed Out.
16. Your Bet Credits cannot be:
• transferred to Casino, Games, Poker, Vegas or Bingo;
• used as stakes on Tote (including other pool betting) and Lotto markets;
• used as stakes on Bankers, If Bets, Reverse If Bets, Teasers or bets placed using our Telephone Betting service.
17. Your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed if your account is inactive for 90 consecutive days. Making a deposit, placing a Sports bet or participation in any Casino, Poker, Games, Vegas or Bingo product is deemed as having activity on an account.
18. Bet Credits can be used as a qualifying bet for the following offers:
• ITV Racing 4/1
• Feature Race 4/1
• Bore Draw Money Back
19. Bets placed using Bet Credits will not qualify for the following bonuses:
• Euro Soccer Bonus
• Tennis Accumulator Bonus
• Parlay Bonus
• Euro Basketball Bonus
20. This offer is available in multiple currencies depending on your account preference and the specific information relating to minimum deposit and maximum Bet Credits currency equivalent values is stated here. These currency equivalent values are reviewed periodically against market rates and may be increased or decreased accordingly.
21. This offer closes to new customers at 11:59 UK Time on 27th February 2020 and can only be claimed by customers who register prior to this time (must be claimed within 30 days of registration).
22. This offer is only available to customers residing in Great Britain and Republic of Ireland.
23. Where any term of the offer or promotion is breached or there is any evidence of a series of bets placed by a customer or group of customers, which due to enhanced payments, Free Bets, risk free bets, Bet Credits or any other promotional offer results in guaranteed customer profits irrespective of the outcome, whether individually or as part of a group, bet365 may reclaim the enhanced payment, Free Bet, risk free bet or Bet Credit element of such offers and/or void any bet funded by the Free Bet or Bet Credits. In addition, where there is evidence of such activity, bet365 may levy an administration charge on the customer up to the value of the Bet Credits, Free Bet, risk free bet or enhanced payment towards the administrative costs incurred in identifying and taking action against the activity.
24. bet365 may reclaim any bonus amount, Free Bets, Bet Credits or enhanced payments that have been awarded in error.
25. All customer offers are limited to one per person. If bet365 has reasonable grounds to suspect that the bonus or offer is being claimed by or for the benefit of the same person more than once or by a group of people then it may withdraw the availability of any offer or all offers to that customer or group of customers and/or void any bet funded by the bonus or offer and remove any winnings from such bet.
26. bet365 may, at any time, make minor amendments to this promotion to correct typographical errors or to improve on clarity or customer experience and may cancel this promotion for legal or regulatory reasons.
27. Employees, officers and directors of bet365, its promotional or other agencies, licensees and licensors, service providers and any other associated or affiliated companies shall not be eligible for the promotion. The same terms shall apply to the direct families of such persons.
* or currency equivalent