The final Classic of the British flat season, the St Leger is one of the most important races of the season. Hosted at Doncaster’s flagship meeting, it’s the highlight of their season. It will also earmark one three-year-old as the most promising stayer in the UK and Ireland.
The St Leger is raced over the 1m 6f distance and is worth £198,485 in 2020. Purely for the three-year-old horses, there are no allowances to take into account with the entire field comprising of colts.
You can find everything you need to know about the St Leger below, from the thoughts and analysis of our experts, valuable stats and trends, free bets and our St Leger tip.
Doncaster St Leger Runners and Riders
Progressive sort who landed the Group 2 King Edward VII at Royal Ascot. Luckless in the Derby but made amends with a dominant performance to land the Great Voltigeur. Will relish a further step up in distance and sets a clear standard on ratings.
Hugely progressive in 2020 for Aidan O’Brien, winning the Queen’s Vase at Royal Ascot before landing the Irish Derby. Taking on his elders when a great third in the Goodwood Cup and that form gives him excellent claims back against his generation.
Unbeaten in three starts since debut, excelling since being upped to twelve furlongs and beyond. Impressive winner of the Group 3 Geoffrey Freer at Newbury last time when stepped up to thirteen furlongs. Should have even more to offer up in distance.
Has won all three of his starts as a three-year-old, upped to thirteen furlongs to easily land Listed honours at Navan last time. Needs to improve on the bare figures, but completely unexposed and no surprise to see him play a leading role.
Doncaster St Leger Tip
Progressing with each of his starts as a three-year-old, Aidan O’Brien is nowhere near the bottom of Santiago just yet. Impressive in winning both the Queen’s Vase and Irish Derby, it was no disgrace to finish third to Stradiavrius in the Goodwood Cup.
He’s back against his own age group today and has proven stamina for the distance. Frankie Dettori takes the ride, which has its obvious positives, and it’s difficult to look elsewhere.
Doncaster St Leger Trends
- 7 of the last 10 winners had won two or more races that season
- 7 of the last 10 winners were rated 110 or above
- 7 of the last 10 winners had won at Group level previously
- 6 of the last 10 winners were trained by John Gosden or Aidan O’Brien
- 4 of the last 10 winners were sent off favourite
The rescheduled calendar in 2020 means we should take stats with a pinch of salt, however, they do still give a good guide as to what it takes to win the race.
Santiago is the one who comes out best on the trends. He’s won twice this season and is currently rated 114. He’s a Group 1 winner and is trained by Aidan O’Brien, with a strong chance of being sent off favourite.
Doncaster St Leger Previous Winners
- 2019 – Logician (Frankie Dettori, John Gosden)
- 2018 – Kew Gardens (Ryan Moore, Aidan O’Brien)
- 2017 – Capri (Ryan Moore, Aidan O’Brien)
- 2016 – Harbour Law (George Baker, Laura Mongan)
- 2015 – Simple Verse (Andrea Atzeni, Ralph Beckett)
- 2014 – Kingston Hill (Andrea Atzeni, Roger Varian)
- 2013 – Leading Light (Joseph O’Brien, Aidan O’Brien)
- 2012 – Encke (Mickael Barzalona, Mahmood Al Zarooni)
- 2011 – Masked Marvel (William Buick, John Gosden)
- 2010 – Arctic Cosmos (William Buick, John Gosden)
Free Bets for Doncaster and Chester
Get a head start with your bets this week by signing up to a bookmaker account and claiming a free bet. With a ten-race card at Doncaster and an eight-race card at Chester, free bets can come in handy, especially with firms competing against one another to offer the best deals. We have selected the three best offers below or you can check out our Free Bets page for more offers.