Charlie's interest in racing first started when he got a job working at a high-street bookmakers in the year before he went to university. Four years later, having finished his degree in History, a career in horse-racing journalism provided the perfect blend for his interests in both writing and sport.
As we enter 2020, we’re now less than ten weeks away from the Cheltenham Festival. Prestbury Park provides the perfect way to see in the New Year with seven races from the home of National Hunt racing, four of which are live on ITV Racing.
From promising youngsters in both novice hurdles and chases to old favourites in a number of competitive handicaps, there’s something for everyone.
bet365 have the perfect accompaniment to a cracking day’s racing from Cheltenham with their £100 bet credits offer, available to all new customers.
bet365’s Welcome Offer Explained
Those of you who do not currently have accounts with bet365 can claim of up to £100 in Bet Credits.
In order to take advantage of this offer, new customers should open an account with bet365. Then, make a deposit of £5 or more and claim the offer to receive a matched amount in Bet Credits, up to a maximum of £100.
To release your bet credits, you must place bets to the value of your qualifying deposit and allow these bets to settle.
Your bet credits will then be available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled. Customers can now place bets with these credits, simply by selecting “Use Bet Credits” in the bet slip.
Where Can I Use My Bet Credits?
12.15 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle 2m4.5f
Nigel Twiston-Davies Redford Road took his record to three-from-four this season when landing a Grade Two over three-miles here on the 14th December. He showed a decent turn of foot to score in a moderately run contest. The drop back in distance shouldn’t inconvenience the game five-year-old.
Nicky Henderson always has an embarrassment of riches in the novice division. He has an interesting contender in the form of Welsh Saint. A faller on hurdling debut, he evidently learnt plenty from the experience, finishing a neck second when next seen. He backed that effort up with a bloodless fifteen-length success at Warwick.
12.50 Markel Insurance Handicap Chase 3m2.5f
With the ground forecast on the soft side, this could turn into a slog. That could suit Cogry, who gained a fourth career success with a game success three weeks back. He’s now on a career high mark but he’s sure not to go down without a fight.
Kim Bailey’s Another Venture was unfortunate to bump into the reformed Acting Lass, since placed in Listed company, on his reappearance. He was only beaten half-a-length there and makes appeal from just a three pound higher mark.
1.25 Dipper Novices’ Chase 2m4.5f
Nicky Henderson’s star novice chaser Champ is a warm order for this and there’s every reason for that. He’s suffered just two defeats in nine starts over obstacles, winning both starts over fences at Newbury.
He rallied gamely after a torrid trip in a Grade Two last time out, overcoming solid yardstick Black Op and Deyrann De Carjac. Given that he’s far from the finished article over fences, his ceiling appears a long way off.
2.00 Paddy Power Handicap Chase 2m4.5f
Novice Grade One winner Kalashnikov has burnt punters’ fingers twice this year. He’s a more attractive price today and could be set for a well deserved return to winning ways. His latest nose defeat to Oldgrangewood represents a career best effort. Unexposed over these middle distances, it’d be a surprise if he wasn’t thereabouts once again.
Aso landed this in 2019 for Venetia Williams and the yard’s Cepage is one for the shortlist. Second to Frodon in a competitive handicap last term, he’s posted career bests in two runs this seams. A close fourth over track and trip last time, he could take advantage of an unchanged mark if appearing.
2.35 Paddy Power Handicap Hurdle 3m
There won’t be many more interesting runners all season, let alone on New Year’s Day than Might Bite, who could return to hurdling. His struggles over fences have been well documented, falling early on at Aintree. He was no slouch over timber back in 2015/16 and could be thrown in off this reduced mark if getting his act together.
One at the opposite end of his career is Olly Murphy’s Skandiburg. He improved for a step up to three-miles at Aintree last time, staying on stoutly to land a Pertemps Qualifier. A six pound rise is unlikely to prevent another big run.
3.10 Relkeel Hurdle 2m4.5f
Another chaser from the Henderson yard could revert to hurdles. This represents a step down in class for Janika, who was last seen finishing just nine-lengths behind Defi Du Seuil in the Tingle Creek. His six starts for the yard have all come over fences though, the form he set in France over hurdles falling a fair way short of what’s required today.
One to oppose him with is Warren Greatrex’s Emitom. He developed a huge reputation last year after taking his record to five-from-five with two bumper success and three hurdling wins. Sent off 5/1 for a novice Grade One at the Aintree Festival, he only found Champ too good.
3.50 EBF Stallions NHF Race 1m6f
The stars of tomorrow are the focus of the finale. The spoils could well be going once more to Nicky Henderson, who has a very promising recruit with Grand Roi. Purchased from France in October, he bolted up by fifteen-lengths at Wincanton on his stable debut.
The fillies are well represented with Anthony Honeyball’s Belle De Manech a hugely interesting contender. She defied a lack of experience on her debut, running on strongly to score over this trip at Warwick. Natural progression could see her make a mark in this company.
Terms & Conditions
1. Offer available to new customers registering on or after 12:00 UK Time on 17th January 2019.
2. Make a qualifying deposit of £5* or more to qualify for a 100% matched amount in Bet Credits up to £100*. Your qualifying deposit is your largest deposit (capped at £100*) made in the 7 days prior to you claiming the offer. PayPal or paysafecard, where available, cannot be used for either your qualifying deposit or any subsequent withdrawal of returns from Bet Credits stakes unless you have completed Know Your Customer procedures (KYC) and entered a Postal Verification Code (PVC) or we have successfully verified two accepted forms of your Identity Documents.
For more details on accepted Identity Documents, how to complete KYC, or to upload your Identity Documents, simply log in to your account, go to Members then My Account and select Know Your Customer.
3. You must claim your offer within 30 days of registering your account.
4. The maximum amount of Bet Credits that can be claimed is £100*. For example, a qualifying deposit of £150 will qualify for £100 of Bet Credits.
Releasing your Bet Credits
5. Your Bet Credits will be held in your account balance and are non-withdrawable. To release your Bet Credits you must place qualifying bets with a total stake value equal to or greater than the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at £100*) and they must settle within 30 days of claiming the offer.
6. Your Bet Credits will normally be available to use within one hour of the qualifying settled bet requirement being met.
7. You may have more than one Bet Credits offer available on your account at any one time. However, qualifying settled bets will only count towards releasing one of the offers. You may choose which offer is active within the Members section.
8. Bets placed using our Telephone Betting service will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits.
9. Any single bets placed at odds of less than 1/5 (1.20) will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. In multiple bets at least one selection must have odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater to count.
10. In market/fixture combinations that only have two or three potential outcomes (for example Soccer Full Time Result), where you have placed bets on more than one potential outcome, either pre-match or In-Play, only the outcome with your highest cumulative stake will count towards the settled bets requirement (if you have placed the same highest cumulative stake on more than one selection in the same market/fixture combination then only one will count towards the settled bets requirement). Any bets settled on other selections in the same market/fixture combination will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. This term is applied in conjunction with the other restrictions. For example, if you have a £10 bet on Man Utd to beat Chelsea and a £15 bet on Chelsea to beat Man Utd on the Full Time Result market at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater, only the stake on Chelsea will count towards the release of your Bet Credits (if both bets were for £10 then £10 would count towards the release of your Bet Credits). If you were to place a further £10 bet on Man Utd to beat Chelsea at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater, this cumulative £20 stake will count towards the release of your Bet Credits and not the £15 stake on Chelsea.
11. Fully Cashed Out, Instant Games, Gaming, void bets and In-Play bets which are settled as a push do not count towards the release of your Bet Credits. Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, only the remaining active stake will count towards the release of your Bet Credits. Where a bet has been edited using our Edit Bet feature, the original stake will not count towards the release of your Bet Credits and only the new stake on the new bet will count.
12. If you do not have qualifying settled bets to the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at £100*) within 30 days of claiming the offer, your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed and the offer will be closed.
Using Bet Credits
13. Your Bet Credits are non-withdrawable. Any returns from Bet Credits stakes will be added to your Withdrawable Balance but Bet Credits stakes are not included in any returns. For example, a £10 bet placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) would give a return of £30 (£20 winnings plus £10 stake), whereas a £10 Bet Credits stake placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) would give a net return of £20, as the £10 Bet Credits stake is not returned.
14. Stakes can be funded in part by your Bet Credits and part with your Withdrawable Balance; however the Bet Credits element of the stake will not be included in any returns. For example, a £10 bet placed at odds of 2/1 (3.00) which was funded by £5 Bet Credits and £5 cash would give a net return of £25 (£20 winnings plus £5 cash stake) as the £5 Bet Credits stake would not be returned. If a bet is void and has had an opportunity to win (for example, in the event of a push), Bet Credits stakes will not be returned. If a bet is void and has not had an opportunity to win (for example, when a Goalscorer bet is placed on a player who does not then take part in the match), Bet Credits stakes will be returned.
15. For the purpose of Cash Out, the value displayed will already have the Bet Credits stake removed and will be the actual return received if Cashed Out.
16. Your Bet Credits cannot be:
– transferred to Casino, Games, Poker, Vegas or Bingo;
– used as stakes on Tote (including other pool betting) and Lotto markets;
– used as stakes on Bankers, If Bets, Reverse If Bets, Teasers or bets placed using our Telephone Betting service.
17. Your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed if your account is inactive for 90 consecutive days. Making a deposit, placing a Sports bet or participation in any Casino, Poker, Games, Vegas or Bingo product is deemed as having activity on an account.
18. Bet Credits can be used as a qualifying bet for the following offers:
– ITV Racing 4/1
– Feature Race 4/1
– Bore Draw Money Back
19. Bets placed using Bet Credits will not qualify for the following bonuses:
– Euro Soccer Bonus
– Tennis Accumulator Bonus
– Parlay Bonus
– Euro Basketball Bonus
– Aussie Footy Multi Bet Bonus
20. This offer closes to new customers at 11:59 UK Time on 7th January 2020 and can only be claimed by customers who register prior to this time (must be claimed within 30 days of registration).
21. This offer is only available to customers residing in Great Britain and Republic of Ireland.
22. Where any term of the offer or promotion is breached or there is any evidence of a series of bets placed by a customer or group of customers, which due to enhanced payments, Free Bets, risk free bets, Bet Credits or any other promotional offer results in guaranteed customer profits irrespective of the outcome, whether individually or as part of a group, bet365 may reclaim the enhanced payment, Free Bet, risk free bet or Bet Credit element of such offers and/or void any bet funded by the Free Bet or Bet Credits. In addition, where there is evidence of such activity, bet365 may levy an administration charge on the customer up to the value of the Bet Credits, Free Bet, risk free bet or enhanced payment towards the administrative costs incurred in identifying and taking action against the activity.
23. bet365 may reclaim any bonus amount, Free Bets, Bet Credits or enhanced payments that have been awarded in error.
24. All customer offers are limited to one per person. If bet365 has reasonable grounds to suspect that the bonus or offer is being claimed by or for the benefit of the same person more than once or by a group of people then it may withdraw the availability of any offer or all offers to that customer or group of customers and/or void any bet funded by the bonus or offer and remove any winnings from such bet.
25. bet365 may, at any time, make minor amendments to this promotion to correct typographical errors or to improve on clarity or customer experience and may cancel this promotion for legal or regulatory reasons.
26. Employees, officers and directors of bet365, its promotional or other agencies, licensees and licensors, service providers and any other associated or affiliated companies shall not be eligible for the promotion. The same terms shall apply to the direct families of such persons.
* or currency equivalent