One of the most competitive sprint handicaps of the season, the Ayr Gold Cup is a special sight. A maximum field of twenty-five speedballs will rattle down the Ayr straight for the £46,688 prize pool.
It’s a race that has produced plenty of excitement in recent years. Run at Haydock in 2017 due to a waterlogged Ayr, Baron Bolt and Son Of Rest forced a day heat just one year later. Last year’s third, Gulliver, returns twelve months later to try and go two better in 2020.
Ayr Gold Cup Runners and Riders
Narrow third in the Silver Wokingham at Royal Ascot in June, making amends when scoring easily at Newbury on his next outing. Sent off favourite for the Stewards’ Cup when last seen but could only manage 9th; more required today.
Snapped a losing sequence when scoring at the Curragh on his latest outing. Can race off the same rating now he’s returned to British shores and remains very well treated on his best form. Has to be respected in a race that will be run to suit.
Stone Of Destiny
Broke his losing sequence to land the Portland from out of the clouds last time. Remains feasibly treated despite a six-pound rise at the weights, but he’s very difficult to predict and not reliable.
Has excuses for some difficult runs in 2020, racing in the wrong group at Haydock last time after wind surgery. He should be just right now and his record in fields of ten or more reads 111010. Very lightly-raced and there should be more to come with further racing.
On a role at present, arriving on a hat-trick after making all for a second consecutive success at Ripon. Remains well-treated on last year’s form which also includes a victory off three pounds higher. Has to be included in calculations.
Ayr Gold Cup Tip
Kevin Ryan has won three of the last ten renewals of the Ayr Gold Cup and Bielsa looks to be his best chance in 2020. It’s still early days for this lightly-raced five-year-old, who has only hit the track on eight occasions.
He’d undergone wind surgery prior to his latest outing at Haydock, where he raced in the wrong group and did well in the circumstances. He’s still thoroughly unexposed and remains on a very workable rating. His record in fields of 10 or more reads 111010, which is another big positive and with the promise of more to come, he’s going to be difficult to beat.
Ayr Gold Cup Trends
- 8 of the last 10 winners were sent off 10/1 or higher
- 7 of the last 11 winners carried between 8st 13lb and 9st 4lb
- 6 of the last 11 winners were aged 3 or 4
- 6 of the last 11 winners went from Stall 17 or higher
- 3 of the last 11 winners went from Stall 8
- 3 of the last 11 winners were trained by Kevin Ryan
The rescheduled calendar in 2020 means we should take stats with a pinch of salt, however, they do still give a good guide as to what it takes to win the race.
Kevin Ryan fields three in this renewals, with Bielsa being his standout chance. He fits a few of the trends, with Ryan’s Hey Jonesy going from the coveted Stall 8.
The four-year-old Wise Counsel holds the trends advantage. He sets off from Stall 18 and carries 9st 2lb, which is within the perfect bracket. Clive Cox won the race back in 2009 and will be hoping he can enjoy further success eleven years on.
Ayr Gold Cup Previous Winners
- 2019 – Angel Alexander (Richard Kingscote, Tom Dascombe)
- 2018 – Baron Bolt (Paul Cole) & Son Of A Rest (Fozzy Stack)
- 2017 – Donjuan Triumphant (PJ McDonald, Andrew Balding)
- 2016 – Brando (Tom Eaves, Kevin Ryan)
- 2015 – Don’t Touch (Tony Hamilton, Richard Fahey)
- 2014 – Louis The Pious (Louis The Pious (James Doyle, David O’Meara)
- 2013 – Highland Colori (Oisin Murphy, Andrew Balding)
- 2012 – Captain Ramius (Pat Smullen, Kevin Ryan)
- 2011 – Our Jonathan (Franny Norton, Kevin Ryan)
- 2010 – Redford (Frankie Dettori, David Nicholls)
Free Bets for the Ayr Gold Cup
Get a head start with your bets this week by signing up to a bookmaker account and claiming a free bet. With three days of competitive action from Ayr, free bets can come in handy, especially with firms competing against one another to offer the best deals. We have selected the three best offers below or you can check out our Free Bets page for more offers.