IN SUMMARY: Razor Wind reappeared with a good performance at Wolverhampton last month and probably still has more to offer but MAVERICK WAVE, a Group 3 winner on turf last year, comes here after an excellent second in the Winter Derby at Lingfield 11 days ago and may simply have too much class for this field of handicappers. Truth Or Dare has got his career back on track with two decent runs over 1m since switched to Polytrack this year, and looks ready for today’s return to 1m2f.
1. Maverick Wave – Won a turf Group 3 last season and returned from break with very creditable second at that level in Winter Derby at Lingfield (1m2f) recently; takes on weaker opposition in this handicap and could prove a very tough nut to crack.
2. Razor Wind – Off the track for nearly ten months after turf win last April but returned to action with new career-best performance when close second at Wolverhampton (9.4f) last month; nudged up 2lb for that but could easily have more improvement in him.
3. Our Channel – Struggled to make an impact during spell in Dubai in early 2015 but has returned from break with three good AW runs this winter, including a win over today’s trip at Chelmsford in January; more exposed than some of these but unlikely to be far away.
4. John Reel – Has proved his wellbeing by finishing second over 2m on both starts this year but appears to have very little margin for error off current handicap mark and today’s significant drop back in trip is not an obvious move; often makes the running.
5. Russian Realm – Much better known for his exploits at around 7f but coped well with return to 1m2f when very respectable fourth at Lingfield last month; seemingly not quite as good as he once was, though, and others have more appealing profiles.
6. Truth Or Dare – Ran moderately on sole appearance in 2015 (stable debut) but has taken well to Polytrack this year, reaching the frame in pair of 1m handicaps at Lingfield; has shaped as though he’ll benefit from today’s return to 1m2f and can’t be ruled out.
7. Dance Of Fire – Built on promising reappearance/AW debut when making all at Chelmsford (1m2f) last month; was allowed to set fairly steady tempo on that occasion, though, and had to settle for fifth under penalty a few days later; something extra needed now.
myracing Forecast Prices: 15/8 Maverick Wave, 11/4 Razor Wind, 5/1 Our Channel, 7/1 Dance Of Fire, 8/1 Truth Or Dare, 14/1 Russian Realm, 16/1 John Reel