Leopardstown Racecourse is located just 5 miles south of Dublin and is a dual purpose track. It is Ireland’s premier jumps course with the Christmas meeting full of clues for the Cheltenham Festival. Champions Day in September is the highlight of the flat action with the Irish Champion Stakes consistently one of the very top Group 1s run each year in Europe.
Leopardstown Betting Tips
A left-handed oval of about 1 mile 6 furlongs in circumference, the track is fairly flat apart from a steady climb from the home turn to the winning line. Fundamentally a galloping track, stamina is very much an important consideration in the depths of winter when the track can ride very slowly. The fences are on the stiff side – with three being especially tricky for a novice chaser. They come up quickly down the back straight and are prone to catching out the inexperienced.
It is a difficult track to make all the running at Leopardstown racecourse, despite there only being a relatively short straight. A wide, fair course that is an excellent education for a younger horse, the quality of the maidens at the track is generally well above average. It is split into an inner and outer track, with the outer course being a little more testing. However, the inner can be more of a test of speed due to its shorter run in.
Leopardstown Draw Bias
There is no huge bias to be found at Leopardstown racecourse, such is the width and fairness of the track. Over 6 furlongs there is only a short run in to the bend and a small bias towards low drawn runners. There is also a small bias towards those drawn low over both the 7 furlong and mile trips, but it is only a very slight one.
Leopardstown Betting Trends
The combination of Kevin Manning and Jim Bolger are the team to follow for Leopardstown betting tips during the flat season. Manning was 19/58 during 2016 for an incredible 33% strike rate and a level stakes profit of +£59.00! Over jumps, Barry Geraghty is the man to watch. A 21% strike rate at the track has produced a steady profit over the last five seasons of +£20 overall.
Leopardstown Feature Races
- Arkle Novice Chase (Grade 1) (2m 1f)
- Irish Champion Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m)
- Deloitte Novices Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m 2f)
- Hennessy Gold Cup (Grade 1) (3m)
- Spring Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m)
- Flogas Novices Chase (Grade 1) (2m 5f)
- Champion Stakes (Grade 1) (1m 2f)
- Matron Stakes (Grade 1) (1m)
- Lexus Chase (Grade 1) (3m)
- Ryanair Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m)
- Paddy Power Chase (Grade 1) (2m 1f)
- Racing Post Novice Chase (Grade 1) (2m 1f)
- Neville Hotels Novice Chase (Grade 1) (3m)
- Christmas Hurdle (Grade 1) (3m)
- Future Champions Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m)